Sciatica pain is a common problem with the sciatic nerve, and there is no one singular cause for it. It can be caused by a variety of conditions, including injury, infection, tumors, or degenerative problems in the spinal cord. Our sciatica chiropractor can help identify the cause and provide relief from your sciatica-related pain today!
What is Sciatica?
Sciatica is a condition that can cause pain in the lower back and legs. It is caused by compression or irritation of the sciatic nerve, which runs from the lower back through the buttocks and down the leg. Sciatica can be caused by a variety of things, including a herniated disc, spinal stenosis, pregnancy, or piriformis syndrome.
Symptoms of sciatica can vary from mild to severe. They may include pain in the lower back or buttocks, numbness or tingling in the legs, and weakness in the legs. Sciatica can make it difficult to walk or stand for long periods of time.
If you think you may have sciatica, our sciatica chiropractor can help. We will take a look at your medical history and symptoms and perform a physical exam. We may also order imaging tests, such as an MRI, to get a better look at your spine. Once we have a diagnosis, we will create a treatment plan to address your specific needs. Treatment options for sciatica may include chiropractic adjustments, massage therapy, physical therapy exercises, and/or lifestyle changes.
Causes of Sciatica
The sciatic nerve is the longest and widest single nerve in your body. It runs from your lower back through your hips and buttocks and down each leg. When this nerve becomes irritated or compressed, it can cause a debilitating condition called sciatica.
There are a number of different things that can cause sciatica, including but not limited to:
• A herniated disc: This is the most common cause of sciatica. A herniated disc occurs when the outer layer of one of your vertebrae tears and allows the inner layer to bulge out. This puts pressure on the sciatic nerve, which can result in pain.
• Spinal stenosis: This condition occurs when the spaces within your spine narrow, which puts pressure on the spinal cord and nerves. Sciatica can be caused by spinal stenosis when the narrowing happens in the lower part of the spine and presses on the sciatic nerve.
• Piriformis syndrome: The piriformis is a small muscle located near the top of each hip that helps stabilize the hip joint. This muscle can sometimes become tight or spasmed, which puts pressure on the sciatic nerve and causes pain.
• Pregnancy: As your baby grows during pregnancy, it can put pressure on the sciatic nerve. This is usually only temporary, but it can be very uncomfortable while it lasts.
If you’re dealing with sciatica pain, our sciatica chiropractor can help.
Treatments for Sciatica
If you're suffering from sciatica, our sciatica chiropractor can help. Sciatica is a common condition that causes pain in the lower back and legs. It can be caused by a herniated disc, degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, or other conditions. Treatment for sciatica typically includes pain relief, stretching exercises, and physical therapy.
In some cases, surgery may be necessary to correct the underlying problem. Our chiropractor will develop a treatment plan that's tailored to your individual needs. With proper treatment, you can find relief from your sciatica pain and get back to your normal activities.
Tips for Managing Your Pain
Chronic pain can be frustrating, exhausting, and downright debilitating. If you’re struggling to find relief, our sciatica chiropractor can help. Here are a few tips to help you manage your pain:
1. Stay active. It may seem counterintuitive, but staying active is one of the best things you can do for chronic pain. Exercise releases endorphins, which have natural painkilling properties.
2. Ice and heat. Applying ice or heat to the affected area can help reduce pain and inflammation.
3. Mind-body therapies. Techniques like yoga, meditation, and deep breathing can help you relax and cope with pain.
4. Chiropractic care. Our sciatica chiropractor can provide gentle, effective treatment to relieve pressure on the nerves and ease pain.
5. Acupuncture. This traditional Chinese medicine technique involves placing thin needles in specific points on the body to promote healing and pain relief
Schedule Your First Visit with Our Sciatica Chiropractor
The first step to finding relief from sciatica is to schedule a visit with our sciatica chiropractor. Don’t wait any longer to seek treatment. Contact our office today to schedule an appointment with our sciatica chiropractor.
WHAT OUR PATIENTS ARE SAYING
"Dr. Allen is so amazing"
Dr. Maddie Allen is so amazing. Always a friendly face to see and knows what she’s doing. I could not even bend over before I saw her today and I’m already feeling so much better and can get things done.
"Dr. Allen is the best there is"
Dr. Allen is the best there is. I just started going here and the neck/back pain I’ve had for years has healed with a couple of visits. She pays close attention to what I’m saying and is really good at explaining things for me to understand! Very friendly. Definitely recommend!!
"I make it a PRIORITY to visit Dr. Allen"
Whenever I fly out to Seattle I make it a PRIORITY to visit Dr. Allen. I’ve since specialists for my back issues and she’s the only one who takes the time to listen. She’s taught me how to take care of myself after each treatment as well.